Senior Back-end Engineer
About the job
You will be joining our Canadian & US based software engineering team. As a member of the team, your primary focus will be to help continue to build and enhance our industry-leading platform. We are looking for a motivated, self-starter who can work in a distributed team environment. The day-to-day responsibilities are broad, and you will ultimately be responsible for shipping high-quality software that powers many businesses and shapes the maintenance industry.
As a Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer, you will:
- Build and maintain our backend platform with real-time, event-driven systems, services, and features.
- Build and maintain our frontend platform using React framework.
- Write quality code with high test coverage and documentation.
- Develop, support, and improve our GraphQL and REST APIs.
- Promote, teach, and enforce our documentation standards.
- Propose recommendations, build prototypes, and provide feedback.
- Work in tandem with the QA engineering team to ship quality and high-precision software.
- Co-own the short and long-term technical vision of your squad with your teammates.
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to engineers within your team and others.
- Help improve the technical quality of our work through regular technical design, code reviews and automated testing.
- Share your technical knowledge and expertise,.
- Communicate effectively with engineers, product managers, customers, partners, and other leaders.
Requirements to be successful in this role:
- Equivalent of 5 + years of experience in senior engineering roles (designing APIs, integrations, platforms, and tools used by other engineers).
- We expect that as an individual contributor, you are a role model to more junior engineers.
- You will be expected to shape and guide the technology decisions of your squad, while contributing alongside them.
- Strong communication and technical writing skills.
- Strong experience with React.js to develop and test applications/components that work optimistically in a production environment.
- Strong experience with Node.js using GraphQL API using Apollo.
- Prior knowledge or ability to quickly learn React Native for mobile development preferred.
- Prior knowledge or ability to quickly learn Material-UI component library preferred.
- Prior knowledge or ability to quickly learn developing in a CI/CD environment preferred.
- Prior knowledge or familiarity with Python for back-end development a plus.
- Familiarity with Jest, unit testing, debugging, profiling, performance monitoring.
- B.S., M.S. or PhD from top university in computer science, engineering or related fields.
- Competitive salary.
- Company stock options.
- Opportunity for bonuses.
- Fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic work environment.
- Opportunities for growth and career advancement.
- Chance to work with cutting-edge technology and innovative solutions.
- Ability to make a significant impact on the growth and success of the company.
BuildOps is a fast-paced, high-growth startup, committed to transforming a $30- billion industry through our all-in-one platform. Leveraging the latest technology, we’re taking commercial contractors from the world of pen and paper operations to digitized, efficient, data-driven business.
Our co-founders have over a decade of experience in both construction and SaaS technology, as well as a resume that includes Stanford, Harvard, Wharton, Cornell, Microsoft, and multiple successful startup exits, including a $1.2 billion acquisition.
BuildOps has raised multiple rounds of funding from some of the largest and most reputable Venture Capital firms, including Founders Fund, Fika Ventures, and Greenspring Associates.
- Forbes Magazine
“BuildOps is unique because it addresses the problem of efficiency in construction for an often-overlooked audience. Rather than focusing on large projects, or catering to owners, they look to the needs of technician-heavy subcontracting firms working in the commercial space.”
“The new financing will be used to support the company’s continued growth. BuildOps sells software that integrates scheduling, dispatching, inventory management, contracts, workflow and accounting into a single software package for commercial real estate contractors with staff ranging from a few dozen to several hundred employees.”
In a statement, [former NFL superstar] Joe Montana noted that his firm (Liquid 2 Ventures) has an investment thesis in supporting America’s working class... “I just love the idea of making their lives far easier and better,” he said. With BuildOps, “you have one solution that does it all and talks seamlessly to every single part of their business from parts to ordering to inventory and more.”
- Wall Street Journal [Paywall]
BuildOps, the Santa Monica, California, startup that provides software for commercial subcontractors was seeded with $5.8 million in funding from investors including Fika Ventures, MetaProp VC, Global Founders Capital, CrossCut Ventures, TenOneTen, IGSB, 1984 Ventures, Liquid 2 Ventures and Ground Up Ventures.