Engineering Manager – BuildOps (Hybrid Position - Santa Monica)
At BuildOps, we’re building a groundbreaking software solution, purpose-built to support today’s commercial contractors. From helping our customers manage their service department all the way to project management, we’re breaking the mold and building a team that invests in our mission statement. We love driven, self-motivated folks experienced in tech start-ups and thrive in fast-paced environments. Could you be our next hire?
Who we are looking for:
BuildOps is looking for a LA based candidate to help lead our key Engineering project initiatives, working in collaboration with a Product Owner. This candidate will join a well-funded, fast-growing technology startup with the unique opportunity to help build out a critical function for the company. This candidate would work a Hybrid work schedule out of our Santa Monica based headquarters.
- Partner with your Product counterpart to design and deliver high quality solutions
- Lead and mentor other engineers to accurately estimate sprints and deliver on scope
- Architect and design scalable and reliable systems for our Field Service ERP platform
- Design, develop, and maintain server-side backend applications
- Work with databases to model, store, and retrieve data
- Coach engineers to Implement data migration strategies to move data between systems
- Lead efforts to Implement pub/sub workflows to decouple services and communicate with other systems
- Ensure that backend processing are reliable and delivers high data integrity
- Have strong understanding AWS services such as EC2, RDS, DynamoDB, S3, Lambda, SNS, and SQS
- Lead code reviews and technical discussions, collaborating with other squads
Requirements to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 2+ years as a squad lead/manager
- 8+ years of experience in server-side backend development
- Experience with database modeling and data migration strategies, ability to tune and optimize complex queries
- Experience with background processing systems such as Queues, Pub/Sub, Streaming platforms
- Experience with idempotent and eventually consistent processing
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with Terraform (bonus)
- Experience with AWS services such as MySQL RDS, DynamoDB, Lambda, SNS, and SQS, ECS
- Strong understanding of distributed systems and scalability principles
- Excellent problem-solving and debugging skills
- Experience with Test Driven Development and Integration Tests
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with the commercial contractor industry
- Familiarity with construction, procurement or accounting software
- Experience with Service oriented SAAS platforms
- Comfortable with other open-source programming languages, such as Java, Python.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package.
- Company stock options.
- Fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic work environment.
- Opportunities for growth and career advancement.
- Chance to work with cutting-edge technology and innovative solutions.
- Ability to make a significant impact on the growth and success of the company.
BuildOps is a fast-paced, high-growth startup, committed to transforming a $30-billion industry through our all-in-one platform. Leveraging the latest technology, we’re taking commercial contractors from the world of pen and paper operations to digitized, efficient, data-driven business.
Our co-founders have over a decade of experience in both construction and SaaS technology, as well as a resume that includes Stanford, Harvard, Wharton, Cornell, Microsoft, and multiple successful startup exits, including a $1.2 billion acquisition.
BuildOps has raised multiple rounds of funding from some of the largest and most reputable Venture Capital firms, including Founders Fund, Fika Ventures, and Greenspring Associates.
“BuildOps is unique because it addresses the problem of efficiency in construction for an often-overlooked audience. Rather than focusing on large projects, or catering to owners, they look to the needs of technician-heavy subcontracting firms working in the commercial space.”
“The new financing will be used to support the company’s continued growth. BuildOps sells software that integrates scheduling, dispatching, inventory management, contracts, workflow and accounting into a single software package for commercial real estate contractors with staff ranging from a few dozen to several hundred employees.”
In a statement, [former NFL superstar] Joe Montana noted that his firm (Liquid 2 Ventures) has an investment thesis in supporting America’s working class… “I just love the idea of making their lives far easier and better,” he said. With BuildOps, “you have one solution that does it all and talks seamlessly to every single part of their business from parts to ordering to inventory and more.”
Wall Street Journal [Paywall]
BuildOps, the Santa Monica, California, startup that provides software for commercial subcontractors was seeded with $5.8 million in funding from investors including Fika Ventures, MetaProp VC, Global Founders Capital, CrossCut Ventures, TenOneTen, IGSB, 1984 Ventures, Liquid 2 Ventures and Ground Up Ventures.